Thursday, April 18, 2013

from the souls of men who know the worth of roses on this earth

Yesterday afternoon my mom's boyfriend (my pretend dad) got into kind of a nasty car accident. It wasn't his fault, and the lady ran right into the driver's side door of his car.

Two things: First, when he got out and went to make sure she was okay she started yelling at him. Later her husband showed up and was yelling at both him and at the police officer that came. I think you can probably imagine how helpful that was to her case, because police officers love being told how to do their job.


I can understand being upset, obviously. I can even understand being angry at the other person involved. What I can't understand is if everybody is okay, why yell? What is that going to accomplish besides making an already bad situation worse? Can everybody just be cool please? Cutie cute Danielle at Porcelain Heart, Ivory Tooth wrote this post last year (hope you don't mind me linking you!) and I thought of it while I was sitting in the car just feeling so thankful that no one got hurt. In case you don't click, which you should!, she gave the man who hit her a hug. I wish with my entire heart that all of our default reactions to things could be kindness and love instead of abusing someone who most likely already feels terrible/getting attorneys involved and suing the shit out them when it is not the least bit necessary. (That's not this situation, but I have known people on both sides of that and it's soooo ugly you guys. Like, leggings-as-pants ugly.) Anyway, this whole thing was a reminder to me to be intentional in approaching things with all the love I can. Because of love and everything, but also because by not screaming my head off for next to no reason on the side of a road I will always look like a lady.  

Second, I am so relieved he was okay. If he wasn't such a good driver, or if the woman had been driving any faster, I can't even make myself type what could have happened. I appreciate the person my mom chose to be her partner for so many reasons, but what I'll share here is this reason: 



I could explain, but. There aren't words, really.