Sunday, July 19, 2015

I'm going to call you Funny Bottoms from now on.



Buying new cleaning products is something that is now fun for me. Yesterday I was comparing the ingredients of two different cleansers and I realized that I was having a good time. Similarly fun purchases were: A new bath mat (because I got hair dye all over the old one and left it there anyway for weeks) and a new can opener. I can specifically remember a time in my life where I'd tell anyone who asked and a lot of people who didn't ask how appealing I found the idea of a transient lifestyle. And now look at me. Next I'll be building a very sanitary white picket fence around Diego and ironing his jean shorts. 

All this talk about cleaning products reminds me that I should really start actually cleaning something. I got up early specifically to get chores done in the morning, but I've already gotten distracted by this and I really feel like getting distracted by the Gilmore Girls for a while too. 

Have you seen Infinity Polar Bear? I went a few weeks ago and I really recommend it to everyone. Whether or not you've had a mentally ill parent, it's an extremely well-made film and definitely worth the hour and a half. (Plus, hi, Mark Ruffalo. No one needs a reason to see you.) There were times when everyone in the audience was laughing, and I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. There were other times when I'd laugh out loud into an otherwise silent theater. If you had or have a mentally ill parent it will make you feel a lot of things, is what I am saying. There were so many similarities to my own childhood that I have to admit I left the theater feeling a little bit fragile, but it was good. Since seeing this movie, I've also been thinking more about a conversation I had with a professor last semester about some pieces he suggested I consider developing more. So there's a little personal project in the back of my mind, and while I have to say that even toying with the idea of catharsis is exhausting, it's also one of those things where you're like "Yep, that is a thing that will definitely be happening and I know it in a tingly cosmic sort of way."

The United States of Becky
(Confessionlette: I am secretly worried that Becky won't do Sunday Confessions this week and my writing this in advance will be like showing up to a party that everyone else decided not to go to.)