Friday, September 26, 2014

stolen gold inside


I went to visit my mom last weekend and she gave me a stack of about fifteen papers stapled together. (My mother loved to organize things BEFORE she quit smoking a few weeks ago, and now that she's channeling all her newfound non-smoking energy into organizing things even more, I'm afraid someone is going to make a television show about her. It'd be like Hoarders, except instead of hoarding and never leaving her house she'd break into other people's houses and organize the crap out of them. So it'd be more like While You Were Out than Hoarders, I guess. Except it could also be While You Were In because my mom also likes to chat with people. Also before when I said she's channeling ALL her newfound energy into organizing, I wasn't telling the whole truth; she's also channeling a good amount of it into repeatedly telling me she's not going to turn into one of those reformed smokers who tries to get everyone around her to quit, and then proceeding to outline the chapters of the quit smoking book she's reading and, you know, trying to get me to quit.) Upon closer examination, the papers were an entire Buzzfeed article that she'd printed out, stapled, and held onto to give to me. It was an article about books. Don't worry, I asked her why she hated trees and didn't she know how to use bookmarks in her browser and I said, "Mom, I know that you know that I know that you work at a computer and you know how to make one go and you know that email is a thing, so why this stack of paper that is half an inch thick?" Honestly I don't remember what she said back to me but I do remember that I got a very dirty look. Which I think was unwarranted, as I was not the one waging a war on our forests. But I thought about it, and what I thought was, that this is a lady who loves print. And this lady taught me to love words on a page, and the fact is that this story is a gift. Someday when I have done something of note, and people ask me to make a speech to some other people, I can work this anecdote in and everybody in the room will laugh and laugh and I will say, "So yes, I will always champion print," or something, maybe something like, "Don't we all hate trees, anyway? They're so smug, really" or maybe just thank you, Mom.



I think that since June a lot of relatively major events have taken place, and I think that I am still processing them. 
They're not all bad, but they're not for the internet, and even in real life I'm finding things difficult to relate. 
For some reason, writing anything at all helps a little, even if it's just to chirp "This semester is going well so far," even if writing the things I'm writing makes me want to throw the computer at the wall because it doesn't mean anything in relation to anything real that is happening and that matters and even if every sentence sometimes seems to shrink my whole life into itself and make it something trite and small.
Even if I write out an entire post, and tell you all about school and work and funny things and obsess about trains some more, just to delete it and post this instead.
I left in the bit about my mom, though, because. Also the picture of the Bloody Mary at the park, so I could say "BM at the park." 
I was going to make it funnier, but I wore myself out today doing all my homework and cleaning all my belongings and then writing the post that was only born to get deleted, and in the manner of a 1950's homemaker I am going to pretty myself up for when the man gets home.
Just kidding, I know that you know that I know that I am going to take a shower, blow-dry only my bangs, and spend the rest of the time staring at Seamless menus until he comes home. Like a lady.